Friday, September 7, 2007

Whichever candidate has the best pitch

I’m breaking, what I’d consider, two of the most important rules of this blog: 1.) Don’t stray from the major topics and, 2.) Don’t talk politics. But I’ve got to; politicians make me laugh.

Regardless of how much I sugar-coat and butter up my official title of Account Executive (maybe someday, I’ll throw a "Senior" in front of it), I’m still a sales person. Fortunately, I consider myself product-smart, and sales-stupid, which I have a feeling most people appreciate (I actually had a customer a couple of years ago call my manager and thank him for my pressure-free attitude…my response: "I dunno’, I wasn’t trying to be pressure-free…I wasn’t trying anything.")

But I have this feeling that most of our politicians for the 2008 election are the opposite: "product"-stupid and sales-smart. Here’s what I mean, I have this feeling that every politician is trying to appease every side of every issue, and in the end, there’s an obscure, vague message that leaves the American people saying, "Wha…what did they say?"

Imagine, I’m a sales rep that walks into your office and I claim that Acme Printing can provide the fastest turnaround, but we’re slow because we spend time on a lot of QA and preparation…we’re the most inexpensive, but we put a lot of money into make-ready materials and the best binding…we’ve got the best customer service, but we also provide low prices because we minimize labor costs…we’ve got a lot of capacity for your project…but we’ll need files 7 weeks prior to the ship-date.

Confused yet? I got vertigo just writing it.

My question is this, who was the first presidential candidate that pitched "I can be everything for the American people"? Because that was the person that opened the floodgates. So next time you pick up the phone, and here my voice or another "sales rep", feel relieved. It could be worse; it could be a presidential candidate.

No comments: