Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Life On the Other Side

I am a subscriber to a number of printing and marketing news sources and one of my favorite sources to keep up with, is Margie Dana’s “Boston Print Buyers” (shhh, I even borrow some of her ideas). She frequently gives us printers an idea of what it’s like to be a print buyer; which, being on the other side, is much appreciated (…information I never had at high school dances). But it got me thinking that not many people know what it’s like to be a print rep. So, without further ado, I bring to you…

Well other than the Aussie Crocodile Hunter, overall, it’s the coolest job in the world (but slightly less dangerous). What other job can you work with somebody’s creative ideas, and custom build a product, to make their vision come to life? And I am fortunate to represent a company like Acme: Not too big, not too small; that “family-run feel” atmosphere; and an unprecedented reputation for quality, Acme’s outstanding client list, and a genuine, 100% concern for the customer’s well-being makes it easier on a print rep.

Though, there are plenty of bumps along the way. For the most part, I’m probably one of the youngest reps I’ve met in the commercial printing industry (by far). And in such a specialized industry, it’s often very difficult to convince companies that I visit, that I am a resident expert (even with 3+ years of printing experience). No, I am not an RIT graduate, nor was I raised in a “printing family”, but instead I learned the hard way: asking what seems like millions of questions along the way.

But like any printing rep, there is always a lot more to learn (fortunately, at heart, I’ve always been a student). As a printing rep, we must be the local expert on printing, paper, binding, finishing, die-cutting, postal affairs, marketing (thank God for the marketing background), and industry news (e.g. eco-friendly printing, etc.). Though, part of what makes this job so challenging AND so enjoyable, is getting to know my clients’ business and having a positive affect on their operational performance.

It’s been fun thus far and hopefully for much longer. And sometimes, I get carried away talking shop to friends and family (talk about “deer in headlights”). Which by the way, regardless of how often I explain my profession to my family, I am, in their eyes: an advertising sales rep, a paper sales rep, and a magazine subscription sales rep. I get this gut feeling that they think that somehow, printed product just sort of “magically appears”.

No comments: